01 May How Long Does Roof Repair Take? What You Need to Know
You’re looking into how long repairing your roof will take. You have a lot of questions in the middle of that process. How do I know my roof needs to be repaired? What do I look for when inspecting my roof? How long will it take? How much will it cost? Who do I trust? How much will it cost? Many questions may fill your mind and make you feel like you don’t know what direction to go. That’s why this guide will help to answer your questions and help calm your worries!
A roof is an essential integral part of the whole home. It is vital that you maintain and upkeep the roof over your head to make it last as long as possible. As a homeowner, you should be aware of the precautions you can take. Home Advisor has a list of ways to help make your roof last. However, in the event that you can’t prevent damage to your roof, you should have the best knowledge regarding best roof repair practices and its timeline.
How Do I Know My Roof Needs to be Repaired?
There are several reasons you may need your roof to be repaired. Over time, a roof’s durability is worn down, and it should be appropriately checked on as a preventive measure. Surveying normal wear and tear issues can help to prevent unnecessary major problems by treating minor ones when you discover them.
Professional roofers recommend inspecting your roof at least once per year. However, it is a good idea to check it twice, once in the spring and once in the fall. Other than these bi-annual inspections, you should have your roof and roof decking inspected if:
- High winds have passed through. Inspecting your roof after high winds is especially crucial if you have trees near your house, and you notice downed limbs or large twigs.
- It has hailed. Most hail isn’t large enough to cause considerable damage, but larger hail can cause damage to or loosen shingles and break tiles.
- You believe lightning may have struck your home. Lighting can strike and cause issues like leaks in the chimney.
What to Look for When Inspecting Your Roof
When you are inspecting your roof, there are many things you should look for. Generally, you should look for any missing material, improper ventilation, worn shingles, cracked shingles, cracked roof cement or tiles, and any unwanted exposure. Learn more here about the signs of roof damage.
Other causes to roof damage include:
- Aging Shingles
- Lack of Roof Repair
- Water + Cold Temperatures
- Wind and Storms
- High Heat
- Improper Installation
- Walking on the Roof
More specifically, missing material can be easily replaced, but you’ll only know what your house is missing if you check often enough to notice. Improperly ventilated attics can lead to heat and moisture building up and corrupting the roof deck or roof materials. Worn or cracked shingles or tiles can tell you when it is time to replace roofing materials. Metal roofs can also show signs of damage, but usually need maintenance rather than replacement. If your roof has significant exposure in seams, along chimneys, in changes of material, or at other junctions, you should consider repairing your roof.
How Long Does Roof Repair Take?
There are many different types of roof repair, and all of them take a different amount of time. A contractor may need only an hour or two to work on smaller projects like replacing missing or damaged shingles. For larger projects like completely replacing your current roof at your residence, it could take two or more days to complete. The first day to remove the existing roof and the second to install the new roof. This also depends on the size of the roof being replaced. Commercial roofing can take a number of weeks, depending on the size of the project. In general, the amount of time it takes for a roof repair can depend on many important factors.
Things that affect the time it takes to repair your roof include:
- The size of your house. The larger your home, the longer the repair period. The smaller your home, the shorter amount of time it will take. Generally, if a house is less than 1200 square feet, roof repair could take about a day. For larger homes, it could take more.
- How steep your roof is. The amount of square footage increases the steeper the roof. The more nooks and crannies there are to account for also plays a role in the amount of time it takes to repair your roof. This includes skylights, chimneys, plumbing pipes, patio extensions or other features that may be cause for further consideration when servicing your roof.
- The method used to replace the roof. Different materials call for different methods of replacement. For example, asphalt shingles on a roof can be replaced using a re-roofing and tear-off method. Re-roofing allows new shingles to be placed directly over damaged areas. Tear-off requires complete removal and replacement of damaged regions.
- The issue you are trying to repair. Different repairs require different amounts of dedicated time. Talking to a roofing expert, like Ark Roofing & Construction, is the best way to determine how long it will take to repair the specific issue you experience.
- The weather. Severe weather influences the amount of work roofing companies have. If there have been recent heavy storms, companies may become busy with work repairing the damage. If there is a chance for inclement weather that will last for a few days, roofing companies become busy with requests regarding repairs.
- Acquiring products and supplies. It takes time to request select products or supplies. Doing research to know what materials are necessary or that you specifically want is helpful when assessing the roof repair. Talking to the roofing professionals about what materials are recommended will also be able to give you an estimate on how long it would take to order specific products or materials.
- How it’s installed on your frame or deck. What shape your roof decking is in can influence the amount of time it takes to complete your roof repair. If there are leaks, the roof decking may also need to be replaced.
These features determine how long it will take to repair your roof and potentially how long the repairs could be delayed. To best know how long a project will take, contact a roofing expert like Ark Roofing & Construction to get estimates.
How Much Will it Cost?
Just like you can’t be sure exactly how long it will take to repair your roof, you also can’t know for sure how much it will cost without contacting the proper professionals. However, there are great tools online to help you get an estimate. RoofingCalc has an online tool to help you estimate the cost of your roof repair depending on your needs. Home Advisor also has a great tool to help you calculate how much it will cost to replace or install a roof. Keep in mind that you are charged per square when it comes to pricing. Their site suggests that the typical range is between $5,348-10,686. Nationally, the average homeowner spends about $7,913 to install a new roof. There are certain exceptions to this price that charge more than the national average, with larger cities being one.
That’s why Ark Roofing & Construction takes pride in spending extra money toward higher-end products without cost to you. We treat your home like it’s our own and want to equip you with a high-quality product that has been installed with the highest level of craftsmanship.
Who Do I trust?
Now that you’ve got answers to some of your questions, you may be wondering: who can I trust with the task of repairing my roof? Look no further than the professionals who are committed to getting it right the first time!
Ark Roofing & Construction has been serving the Broken Arrow area with many satisfied customers. We take pride in the fact that we don’t cut any corners and are interested in serving those who are looking at roof repair in the Broken Arrow area. We are happy to consult with you today about all your roofing needs and can help ease the worries you may have during roof repair. Ark Roofing & Construction holds an A rating by the Better Business Bureau and has been Home Advisor screened and approved. Our other certifications include Atlas Roofing Products Certified and GAF Certified. We are also on the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board. With our vast knowledge in roofing and their certified professionals, Ark Roofing & Construction is dedicated to helping make your roof repair smooth and stress-free.
Ark Roofing & Construction can help you identify roofing issues, professionally look for signs of damage, and give you estimates on how long it will take and the cost of the repair. We are your go-to when it comes to all your roofing needs!
Your roof protects you from many of the natural elements. You owe it to your roof to protect it as best you can. Contact Ark Roofing & Construction today to receive a consultation on your roof repair!